Sunday, January 29, 2012

"2004 Dodge Dakota – 4.7L V8 Power Steering Problems"

Red 2004 Dodge Dakota Right Side View

I have noticed that my 2004 Dodge Dakota – 4.7L V8 power steering is progressively starting to go over the last week. When I turn left or right it’s real hard as I come off the center point, then it will break free, then get hard again. It will also get stuck in the turn, not allowing the wheel to straighten out coming out of a turn. it makes for a real choppy ride. Once everything warms up it seems to go away a little bit but I can still feel it. Engine RPM does not seem to play a factor whether it is hard to steer or not (I have put gotten up to speed, put it in neutral, brought it up to 2500 RPM and tried turning and it is still stiff.) I don’t know if that is an official method of diagnosing if the pump is bad or not, but that is my problem I don’t know if it is my power steering pump or my rack and pinion.
Answer: It’s your pump starting to go out. Your rack probably isn’t in the best of shape but should be fine with a new pump, and fluid flush. If it is tripping any engine codes relative to this, then it is the Power Steering Pressure Sensor malfunctioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment