Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"The ECU Won’t Reset by Itself on 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse"

Black 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Front Left View

I just installed a cold air intake on my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.4L and I love the boost, but my ecu will not reset itself which in turn, makes the car sputter while idling and lurch while driving. I’ve tried disconnecting the battery for hours and gone on more than a 10 mile drive, but it still will not make a difference. What should I do?

Answer: Most E.C.U.’s that I’ve heard of do reset themselves automatically. The problem though, is that I guess some don’t.  Okay, I’m willing to bet my left hand that your check engine light is on. If this is the case (when it wasn’t on before the operation) then the diagnostic code will say ‘Crankshaft Sensor.’ If you have a specialized OBD II reader then you can and will have to reset the timing through the computer via the plug in. There is a certain way this has to be done and I don’t really know how as it’s different on different vehicles. If you bring it to a shop it’s going to cost you about $300. It’s sputtering and lurching because the timing is bad which is why you have to reset it through the computer because it’s electronically controlled.

No comments:

Post a Comment