Monday, January 30, 2012

"Front Suspension Noise Problems on 1990 Honda Accord LX"

Black 1990 Honda Accord LX Right Side View

When I turn my passenger side on my 1990 Honda Accord LX, the tire area makes a loud squeaky sound. This occurs when driving or when still. It also squeaks when I push up and down on the car. Can it only be a front strut bearing or both bearing and front strut? Can I just replace the bearing, and is it easy to do? Thanks.
Answer: One of the biggest problems with noises is that you can hear them, but can’t see them. That makes them particularly difficult to diagnose. It most likely is not the strut bearing or wheel bearing as these usually don’t squeak when the vehicle is not moving. Since the noise is coming from the right side I would look at the right side suspension components. The noise can be from dry bushings, worn bushings, loose suspension bolts or worn suspension components along with other issues that are unforeseen. A good visual inspection is a great place to start. I like to put a wrench on all the suspension nuts and bolts to make sure that everything is tight. I also look for traces of rust around bolts as that can be an indication that there is an issue. There is a special tool called a “Chassis Ear” that can help narrow the possibilities down to a certain area. Depending upon your skill level it may be cost effective to take it to a qualified technician for diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment