Thursday, January 12, 2012

"Mechanical Problems on 1994 Dodge Caravan Sliding Door"

1994 Dodge Caravan Sliding Door Problems

Hi, I currently have a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan. Right now I’m trying to fix it up since it is a rare AWD model. Aside from a few mechanical problems, my main concern is the sliding door. The sliding door opens fairly easily. When you go to close it, you need to literally slam it shut with all of your might, otherwise it won’t latch properly. I was wondering what I could do to free up the sliding door and make closing it much easier, because I plan to use the van as a friend hauler. I heard about applying lubricants to the rollers and the tracks. If this is the best route, what type of lubricant should I use and where/how should I apply it?
Answer: It sounds like the tracks, slides, and pivot points for door haven’t been lubed for a long time. Try PB Blaster. This is the best I have used. It comes in a spray can with a nozzle. Spray down all the slides and moving parts(including the door latch), open and shut the door till it shuts ok. This may take a while. Keep a rag with you to clean excess over spray. It won’t hurt the paint either. Once you get it free, dry off the excess, lube the rollers with a silicone based grease and again, open and close the door till it work OK. Good Luck and drive safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment