Sunday, April 15, 2012

"The Anti-lock Breaking System Problems on 1990 Mercedes 300 TE Station Wagon"

White 1990 Mercedes 300 TE Station Wagon Front View

I have a 1990 Mercedes 300 TE Station Wagon and I am having a very annoying problem with it. It starts up fine but when it does an orange light with ABS written on it is on. I drive about 1 minute and stop at a street light and the engine dies. I start it up again and it starts, and the same thing happens. It happens on and off and I don’t know what to do. We thought it was low on hydraulic fluid so we filled that up but it still didn’t help. I’m not a mechanic and I don’t know much about the car. This is my only car and I have no time to take it to the dealership for a diagnostics test. If it’s a matter of something I can buy please tell me so. Please Help!

Answer: It may or may not have anything to do with your ABS system. I would like for you to look on the transaxle for a plug that should have four wires going to it in other words it is a four wire plug. This goes to your torque converter clutch solenoid. This solenoid mechanically locks your torque converter to your engine it sounds like the relay is stuck causing your torque converter and engine to be locked all the time so when you apply your brake instead of the torque converter using the hydraulic system to disconnect the engine from the transmission the whole system is staying connected meaning
you have no stall or no clutch. Your torque converter does the same thing that your clutch/flywheel/psi plate does in a standard transmission setup. I think if you unplug this wire it will cause the solenoid to drop out and disconnect the mechanical lockup connection. Test drive and it should keep running when you apply the brake.This is only treating a symptom however. The torque converter clutch is mainly for gas mileage and efficiency but I would get it taken care of this should allow you to drive it to a repair shop. If it does have something to do with the ABS it is probably a speed sensor you should still have a diagnostic check ran on it this vehicle should have a trouble code stored since the light is staying on. Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment