Thursday, February 9, 2012

"2000 Hyundai Accent: Need Information About Engine Control Unit"

Silver 2000 Hyundai Accent Front View

I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent that suddenly just quit running. It was towed to my local mechanic where he determined the ECU needed to be replaced. I located an ECU at a salvage yard which turned out to be nothing like the one I needed (and they won’t take it back). Since then someone mentioned that any ECU I got would need to be reprogrammed by the dealer and I am wondering why the original one in the car can’t be reprogrammed instead of trying to be replaced by one that would still need to be reprogrammed? Any help is appreciated and anyone who knows a ball park figure of the cost to reprogram, that would be helpful too.

Answer: You didn’t give enough information to us to look into this problem. Were there any fault codes stored in the computer? Is the computer communicating with the scan tool? I didn’t see any TSB’s that related to the ECU being reprogrammed for a no-start condition, so I don’t know that there is such a miracle cure for your car. Give more information and I will look further into what may be wrong. What engine size? Does it have fire and fuel pressure? Are you sure the timing belt hasn’t lost a couple of teeth?

No comments:

Post a Comment