Thursday, July 5, 2012

"How To Flush The Radiator on 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier"

Red 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Convertible Front Right View

How do I flush the radiator on a 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier? There isn’t a radiator cap. Also, if needed, what type of hose would/should I connect to the drain beneath the radiator?

Answer: Remove the top radiator hose from the radiator and stick your hose inside. Be VERY careful about purging the air from the cooling system when you’re done. There is a tiny plug on one of the steel heater hose tubes located above the exhaust manifold. If my memory serves me correctly, you’ll need a 5/16 socket to remove this plug to purge the air from the system. Be VERY careful with it though because they break off very easily – I learned that the hard way. Jack up the front end of the car if you’re having problems getting the air out of the system. Don’t leave any air pockets inside the engine or you will risk overheating and warping the aluminum cylinder head. This is my least favorite vehicle to flush a radiator on. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment