Thursday, February 2, 2012

"1999 Volvo S80: The ABS Issues"

1999 Volvo S80 Front Look

I have a 1999 Volvo S80. Several months ago, I had the brakes done by a non Volvo brake shop. Right after driving out of their place, the ABS light came on. I drove back to them but they said they didn’t do anything with them. It seemed coincidental to me that it “all of a sudden” came on. Anyway, since then, it has been intermittent. Sometimes I get warning messages saying “brake failure, stop ASAP”, “Stc svc needed” “transmission svc needed” “power steering svc needed” basically all at random. Some days, I get none of these messages. Some days, when all the warnings are displayed, the transmission stays in 4th gear and I have to shift manually. Dealer says ABS module, for $900 is the problem. I noticet recently, while trying to tune in a strong local AM station, that there was tons of static while all the warning messages were displayed. The car sitting next to me was able to tune in the same station clearly. I’m wondering if this is an indication of shorting, any ideas?

Answer: Its definitely shorting probably on a ground circuit. The problem is that a modern car has almost a mile (I DO MEAN 5280FEET) of wire and dozens of grounding points and over a hundred wire connectors to check!! Start with making sure the battery connections are spotlessly clean and go from there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment