Monday, August 13, 2012

"1999 Nissan Maxima with Alternator Problems"

1999 Nissan Maxima

I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima with 80k miles it. The car runs good well as of of now, I just had the starter replaced and now it seems I need the alternator replaced? We had a bad storm come in last wednesday with very bad flooding and which I went thru and I have been having problems ever since. The car wouldnt start so it was the starter and got that replaced and now I have a bad whining noise coming from the alternator never had problems with that before the storm so I knwo what at fault, but The Nissan dealer wants 500 dollars to get this done?? I just want this car running good and get rid of that embarrasing noise. Johnny in Idaho

Answer: 
Johnny, the noise is the bearings in the alternator likely. You can get one (alternator) at any autoparts store. A nissan brand unit will cost more and is still rebuilt . If it were just that as the issue, I’d say parts are about $185 and labor an hour. so $350 seems more reasonable.
However, before you get to excited about doing a lot to this car, remember that water intrusion not only destroys electronics but it also degrades them over time. You could end up with a cascading number of failures over time. And I promise you that if it was saltwater intrusion, you’d best think of getting on with another car. You’ll be in for a real expensive pain in the back otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment