Thursday, August 23, 2012

"2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro: Radiator Fan Won’t Turn Off"

Black 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Front View

I have an 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. I think the battery gets drained because the radiator fan keeps running when the car is off. I can hear it going sometimes when I come back to my car, and the engine is often dead in the morning. I replaced the battery and I had also disconnected the battery while the car was running to rule out the alternator. If I change the fan relay, will this fix the problem or is it something else. Please help…

Answer: The temperature sending unit is probably bad. Usually the fan relay coil would fail and wouldn’t be able to turn on the radiation fan at all. In the unlikely situation that the relay contacts welded, then the relay could cause the fan to run on. Start by checking the temperature sending unit with a digital voltmeter, if the resistance is near 0 ohms and the engine is cold the sending unit is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment