Thursday, August 23, 2012

"How To Fix Cupping Problems on 2006 Audi A3"

Red 2006 Audi A3

I have an 2006 Audi A3, outfitted with 4 Pirelli low profile tires. I found out too late that I should have rotated the tires every 4,000 miles to avoid “cupping” problems, which causes the tires to ride rough and noisy. According to a tire shop I must replace the set of tires to get rid of the noise and rough handling. Someone told me I could get the tires balanced while on the car to fix the problem but I’m not sure about that. Is there any dependable way to get the tire surface smooth again to eliminate the “cupping” problems?

Answer: An old line truck shop may still have a tire lathe and preform a truing cut on your tires [this reduces the life as it reduces the tread depth] but is the only option other than putting up with it or purchasing new typically cupping has two main causes: toe adjustment and weak shocks.[speed on country roads don't help] the a3 and it’s Volkswagen sibling all wear the tie rod ends and ball joints in short order and are “set” from the factory for better handling characteristics than tire wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment