Thursday, October 4, 2012

"All-Season Best High Performance Tires for a 2006 Audi A4"

2006 Audi A4 Left Front View

What are the best high performance, all-season tires for a 2006 Audi A4? I’m considering Goodyear Eagle F1′s, mainly because it’s a local company. But I hear good things about Michelin’s and Bridgestone’s also. My Pirelli’s have been good on performance, but they’re loud and they went downhill quickly at 30,000 miles.

Answer: A little bit depends on the size since that determines what is available (06″ A4 still leaves a lot of possible size choices depending on vehicle specifics) but the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position is a fantastic all-season tire (remarkably good in snow for a UHP AS) that still offers great dry grip and handling with a decent ride and longish treadwear. No tire does it all but this one comes closer than any I have tried and I have tried most – I work in the tire industry.
The new Eagle F1 All Season I have not tried because it has only just come out. In fact, I have not even seen one in person yet. Goodyear are on a bit of a roll with decent tires (for the first time in a long time) so it should be pretty good, but better than the Bridgestone? I tend to doubt it.
The Michelin Pilot Exalto AS comes closest to the Bridgestone but having driven both types extensively I still prefer the Bridgestone model. It truly is an exceptional tire.
Someone above mentioned Nokian. The tire he was probably referring to is the WR, which is a true “4-season” tire in that it is essentially a winter tire tread pattern with an all-season rubber compound so you don’t have to buy two sets of tires. It will be remarkably superior to any of the above tires in more than a few inches of snow or on ice, but it will also not handle nearly as crisply or offer the high levels of dry grip as the above choices. I had a set of WR’s that I was using as an all-season tire on my wife’s minivan but I have since relegated them to strict winter-only duty and use Nokian’s “I3″ performance touring tire the other 3 seasons. I just like them better on warm pavement.

No comments:

Post a Comment