Monday, August 27, 2012

"2004 BMW 320d Clutch Problems After Having ECU Remapped"

2004 BMW 320d Rear Left View

I have an 2004 BMW 320d , since getting this car I have had the car ECU remapped , which ups the power, Bhp and Torque, this is having a bad effect on my clutch which isn’t able to handle the power, I need to upgrade the clutch. can anyone please help me?
P.S. will a clutch from a 330d fit a 320d?

Answer: First, I’d like to say; about three weeks ago I was in the same boat as you. I have an E46 328i (2000) and the clutch went out. It’s been tuned, pretty extensively, but I haven’t exceeded 300 bhp, I put in a UUC Performance clutch in. I’m not sure, what EXACTLY you have done, but I can’t imagine you exceed 300 bhp in your 320d. Those clutches are rated up to 300 bhp, trust me on this. Anything much over and you begin to get clutch slip; it’s also pretty irrespective of what specific make you have.
To answer your question, just don’t bother with the 330i’s clutch; you will be paying, installed $1289.00, parts labor, all in. The UUC clutch is $658 for the part alone, it ends up being pretty equal, but you get a better clutch with the UUC brand, albeit you have to find someone to install it for you or do-it-yourself.
Now, has the clutch “gone-out” or is it just slipping? If it has gone out, really stop driving it. You can tell, if it makes grinding, squealing noise and smells awful, not mention the obvious difficulty changing gears.
My clutch went out at 92,600 miles. When did yours go out/start slipping? If it’s around 90-100K, it’s easily time for a new clutch, no matter what you’ve done with your BMW. It’s also impossible to tell when BMW clutches will go because the Sachs clutch self-adjusts, so you really can’t tell when it is wearing down, short of taking the clutch out and looking at it. Also, if (like me, sometimes) you have engaged in…Well, burnouts, race-style-shifting, double clutching rough, etc. That can really reduce the life of your clutch, so if it’s at about 60-75K and you’ve engaged in BMW fun, the clutch just may be gone. Its perfectly okay, just sucks. Anyway, try UUC, they’re the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment